Table of Contents:
- Dos and Don’ts of Starting a Blog
Consider this: you love writing. However, you don’t have an interest in becoming a writer. So you start a sneaky blog by going to a free blog site and creating an account. Easy, right?
You will soon discover that personal blog writing is natural to you. But getting people to read your blog isn’t. Getting traffic on your blog is important. You need people to read what you write because who else are you writing blog posts for? Also, traffic will help you gain affiliate links and sponsorships. You can also let third-party websites put ads on your blog.
Blog article writing is the new age norm of content consumption. So yes, many people end up writing one. More than 600 million blogs exist on the internet, which is sufficient motivation to start a blog. However, starting a blog is the easy part. The difficulty stems from a lack of traffic, no monetization, site domain, reader engagement and other details.
Blogs are plenty on the internet. With such a vast quantity of content being churned out, finding the right audience is key to blogging and content marketing.
The problem with blogging is that it takes some patience and the right marketing strategies to monetize your blog and make it reach millions of readers. Moreover, it would help if you had personal blogging sites that would make the process easier for beginners.
So, how to make money blogging?
Well, here is a list of dos and don’ts of starting a blog:
- To Begin, Begin (Blogging)
- The Content is GOD
- SEO is God’s assistant
- Be my guest blogger, please
- Social Media: The blog traffic generator
- The all-important Visual Media in 2021
- Give A Call: add CTA to the blog
- Planning and plotting for the perfect blog content
1. To Begin, Begin (Blogging)
Starting a blog is the first step towards being a successful blogger. You can create a beautiful blog site by registering on any free sites available like Wix and WordPress. The good thing is, you get to customize your site according to your preference. And blogging won’t burn a hole in your pocket.
- You need to come up with a name and get the domain registered. It is the first step towards starting a blog. You can use free blog name generators like Blog Name Generator by Themeisle, Panabee, or DomainWheel.
- Choose among a host of blogging platforms. WordPress is usually the go-to for beginners, but you can experiment with others as well.
- You also need a blog hosting account such as Bluehost.
- Customize your sites with plugins and premium themes, and start writing your first quality blog content!
2. The Content is GOD
Content and quality are always supreme in the blog. Without content that adds value, your blog will be lacking sufficient organic search. Blogging is all about digital content and it does not depend upon your grasp of the language (unless you want a literary blog).
Readers want an easy, almost colloquial language that explains things to them. This means your quality should be top-notch to attract potential customers and gain business through blogging.
Good quality content will also be used as links by your networks. No one wants to associate with badly written and poorly researched blogs. Also, longer blogs generally rank better than short blogs (less than 1000 words).
3. SEO is God’s assistant
If your content is God, then SEO is the assistant. It plays an important role in creating the perfect blog. It is what ultimately helps you to rank better on the search engine. It would help if you kept learning search engine optimization. A lot of sites help you with SEO resources. WordPress is very beginner-friendly for SEO. Some important SEO factors that help with blog writing are:
- Keywords: Keyword analysis is one of the most important aspects of blog writing. A simple keyword search is what helps you find content on Google. Search engines can understand the category of content better when there are repetitive keywords. You can choose keywords for blog writing by using some free tools. Keyword search before starting a blog can help you rank better and increase your monthly readers.
- Meta tags: Meta tags help filter blog post topics on search engines. WordPress gives you an easy resource to add meta tags to your blog. Meta tag generators also help a ton.
- Links for Blogs: Acquiring links from your site and linking them to others helps you rank better on search engines. It would help if you networked better for link building.
4. Be my guest blogger, please
Guest blog posts are an effective way to ensure that you are visible on the blogging platforms. Yes, you do need to socialize with other bloggers for this and create a well-defined guest blogging strategy. Get them to collaborate with you on your blog or write a blog on their site. Plus points if you get to write guest posts for a popular site or a popular blogger, you can convert readers into customers. Brian Harris writes that using a guest post got his business going which helps him earn $15000 every month.
Guest blog writing is an effective means to establish yourself as a brand as a business owner. Remember to find a collaborator whose content aligns with yours (take inspiration from Youtubers). Guest posts also have some dos and don’ts of their own. For instance, do not spam the person you want to collaborate with. Collaboration can be long-term if you’re professional and write a blog that benefits all parties involved.
5. Social Media: The blog traffic generator
Social media like Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter are very popular platforms and have several billion active users. Imagine getting to defer that traffic to your blog. What it needs is an online presence. Social media is all about personality, and the content of your blog must reflect on your social media profiles.
Take Mark Manson, for instance. Does he care about using swear words? No. Manson has built a brand around it. Now you know exactly what you get when you open any of his social media profiles.
Social media is not the only platform to generate traffic for blogs and convert that traffic into leads. You can use platforms like forums to tap into your target audience.
6. The all-important Visual Media in 2021
Visual media in 2021 can be anything from short-form content to infographics and creatives. While visual media’s most visible effect is seen on social media, blogs are not exempt from it. For instance, would you prefer a blog without pictures? It’s just paragraphs after paragraphs of written content. That can be a little disenchanting.
7. Give A Call: add CTA to the blog
Call to action is an important aspect of blog writing. CTA is a call for action where you let the blog readers connect to you. You may get some feedback or some excited fangirling if people love reading your content. If you want to learn how to make money from blogging, you will need to add CTA. A CTA will also motivate any sponsors to reach out to you.
8.Planning and plotting for the perfect blog content
Content planning to churn out the perfect blog content is necessary to keep up your traffic power. You can adequately research the blog content that gets a better ranking and assign word counts accordingly. Blog writing is also much easier with content already planned keeping in mind the ideal readers.
Blog writing is a passion for some, a need for another. It is essential for all as a digital marketing tool. With the increase in demand for quality content, you can never go wrong with a blog. It serves as your portfolio and makes you look professional. Or, blogs can work as a creative outlet for your personal growth.
Whatever your reason for starting a blog, these dos and don’ts will help you begin. Tap into the marketing world by starting a blog or learn how to make money blogging by writing about your interests.